The Festive Season is finally upon us and this is the time of year that your skin may well be suffering from Christmas over indulgence!
The skin is the largest organ of the body and suffers along with our internal organs when we over indulge. Too much alcohol, fatty foods and lack of exercise can wreak havoc on our skin and that doesn’t even begin to address forgetting to take off make-up after a great party night! Sound familiar?!
If your skin is suffering from dehydration and needs a good detox then it will be giving you tell tale signals, such as appearing more dull than usual, showing dry crepey areas around the eyes or flaring up with more spots than usual.
We all know the important do’s and don’ts when it comes to looking after our skin, but let’s be honest, who wants to be a party-pooper at this time of year? So here is a short guide for getting you through the festive season before you embark on your NeW Year resolution to take better care of your skin!
1. Even if you party on til the early hours, take off your makeup! Your skin hates it when you sleep in your makeup, so always stick to a mineral makeup such as gloMinerals which is pure and non-comedogenic, but more importantly remove it at the end of the night! If you are worse for wear and cannot face your usual hygiene regime, then try Micellar Cleanser by La Roche Posay. Simply wipe over with a cloth and this special water removes all traces of grime and makeup, including stubborn mascara!
2. Drink plenty of fluid. If you don’t like water and can’t face drinking at least 1.5L per day, then fluid is fluid, so drinking plenty of anything (non alcoholic!) will help. Try to avoid fizzy drinks though as the carbonated contents and gas plays havoc with tooth enamel.
3. Start a skin brushing regime. Regular brushing of the skin helps to improve circulation and can also help to improve cellulite on legs, thighs and your bottom. Brushing will also remove a build up of dead skin cells which make your skin appear dull and lifeless. As we age our skin cell turnover slows down and it takes longer for our skin to shed dead cells, and this isn’t helped by poor diet and lack of exercise. Start with a loofah or body brush at the feet and work your way upwards with circular brushing motions on dry skin. Follow with a shower and then moisturize with an AHA body lotion such asPriori AHA Hand & Body Lotion. Avoid sore areas and never brush your face or neck.
4. Try using a face mask. Whilst many masks work by drawing out toxins from the skin with the use of clay or kaolin, this can also have an extra drying effect during times of skin stress and the mask may draw out water as well. So why not try the Jan Marini Age Intervention Face Mask that actually works in the reverse manner of most masks, in that it actually drives the ingredients into your skin. Its also a feel good factor and gives you 20 minutes to de-stress in the bath.
5. Use Advanced Nutrition Programme Detox party pack. This provides additional nutritional support during stressful periods. Contains food supplements to revitalize your skin and Glutamine to help metabolism during times of over-indulgence.
But our most important advice is to enjoy the party season!