It’s a cosmetic minefield out there, with many cosmetics market leaders claiming their brand is the best anti-ageing product you can buy!
Two decades ago, we weren’t as aware of the damage the sun, smoking and our diet does to our skin as we are now. If only we knew then what we know now, would we have done things differently? Caring for your skin is something that you can do at any age, with just a very simple regime.
We have put together some tips and advice for you to help you have beautiful skin at any age.
Your skin is still looking good on the outside, but it is already beginning to age internally.
Enzymes produced in our skin are breaking down collagen and elastine fibres, which give it the fullness, support and elasticity, and this process is speeded up by exposure to the sun, cigarettes smoking and excessive alcohol.
Sadly the cells that can repair our skin, fibroblasts become less active in our 20s and fall asleep. They also begin to die and so become depleted in numbers.
1. Protect your skin from the sun now! If you are still sure that a tan makes you look healthy, then read our “Reasons to stay out of the sun” advice page. Use a sun-protector of at least Factor 15 daily.
2. Prevention is also the key here to keeping your skin looking good. Daily use of antioxidants will help to fight free-radical damage; Super antioxidants include:
SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF, Priori Coffeeberry, Priori Even Tones, Aestheticare Flavo-C Serum
3. Stop smoking now! 2 cigarettes is all it takes to destroy your Recommended Daily Allowance of Vitamin C. Quit today – look younger tomorrow!
4. Drink up – Don’t wrinkle up! 6-8 glasses of water per day can help maintain skin elasticity in later life.
Skin is starting to show the first signs of ageing on the outside. If you are a sun-worshipper, you may notice signs of pigmentary changes such as small brown marks, which you may think are freckles, but are signs that melanocyte cells (responsible for tanning) are starting to malfunction. These freckles get larger and change into sun spots. They have damaged DNA and can change into forms of skin cancer.
Lines and wrinkles are starting to form on facial areas that we use regularly for expression, such as forehead and frown lines. Skin begins to look dull and lifeless, as cell turnover starts to slow down and dead skin cells stay on the surface for longer, making the dead outer layer thicker and dull.
1. Try exfoliation to boost texture and clarity by removing the excess dead skin cells. Exfoliation can be performed mechanically, by the use of facial scrubs, or chemically, by using acids such as Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) or Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA’s) – for example glycolic acid and salicylic acid; super exfoliators include:
NeoStrata Citriate System, Jan Marini Bioglycolic Facial Cleanser, Jan Marini Bioclear Lotion, Vitage Microexfoliator
2. Consider adding in a Vitamin A product to increase the activity of Fibroblasts to help with cell renewal. Vitamin A is clinically proven to be an effective anti-ageing ingredient; Vitamin A products include:
SkinCeuticals Retinol, Jan Marini Factor A+, NeoStrata Renewal Cream
It’s now that your skin is starting to show more tell-tale signs of ageing. Creasing and wrinkles become more pronounced and skin begins to lose volume and sagging begins as gravity takes its toll.
Someone who has taken preventative measures earlier in life may have skin that can look 10 years younger than someone else who has neglected theirs.
The risk of skin cancer increases in this decade, due to cumulative DNA damage from UV irradiation.
1. Try applying products containing glycolic acid and Hyaluronic acid to your skin. A molecule of Glycolic acid can hold 1000 times its weight in water, so skin appears plumper.
2. Think carefully about using a good correcting product and moisturiser. Products containing Kojic Acid, Coffeeberry and extracts such as Liquorice can help even out skin tones.
3. Don’t forget to use a good eye cream!
4. Super products for forty-somethings:
Jan Marini Bioclear Cream, SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense, SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel, Aestheticare Flavo-C Forte Serum, Priori Coffeeberry Brightening Facial Complex, NeoStrata Brightening Cream, SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex
Skin begins to lose natural oils and look dry as hormones change during our fifties. Sagging becomes more noticeable and lines and wrinkles become more defined. Skin appears thinner and crepiness starts to show.
Loss of volume, especially around the mid-cheek and eye areas, causes hollowing and heaviness around the jowls.
1. Marry your Moisturiser! Plump plums look nicer than shrivelled prunes!
2. Keep skin well protected by using a high SPF. Factor 50+ will help to keep pigmentary changes to a minimum. Keep up the good work with powerful antioxidants, such as Vitamin C and Idebenone.
3. Super products:
Jan Marini Factor A+ Cream, Priori Smooth Lines, Melaclear Serum and SPF50+, SkinCeuticals Renew Overnight, Jan Marini Age Intervention Regeneration Booster, SkinMedica Essential Serum
4. Consider clinic treatments, such as volumising treatments like Sculptra rejuvenation treatments such as Genuine Dermaroller can help skin maintain elasticity and refine texture.
5. Laser treatments including skin tightening and treatments for pigmentary lesions can help restore a clear complexion and help skin laxity.